Sunday, August 30, 2009

Embrace the Journey... be strong and faithful!

I especially enjoyed Tim's sermon today. It was about running. He talked about running with a friend of his. This friend was a distance runner and Tim was not (is not) but this dude encouraged Tim to run farther. With that encouragement, he was able to push forward and he exceeded his original goals. He related this story to the race we run as Christians. The race that is not a competition but one made better with the support and encouragement of the body of Christ.

As I sat there in the pew, I couldn't help but directly relate the story and the sermon to my own life. I thought about how our race as Christians should be the type of experience that is not solo. We should encourage others to not only join us, but challenge us. I am so very blessed to have people who do just that for me. I have many Christian friends who have always encouraged me and I am so thankful for that. Beyond that, I am unbelievably thankful to have people who challenge me to grow spiritually.

Of course, as I was listening I was making more than just spiritual connections. I begin my new running class tomorrow. It is SO TRUE that I would NOT push myself, exceed goals or even meet them without the most amazing running buddy EVER! I sat in that pew next to Kelly knowing she is the one who is THAT friend in Tim's story for me. I am most grateful that she doesn't just challenge me in running but to faithfully run the spiritual race. If you are reading this, I pray you will be faithful in running THE race and encourage others along the way.



Kelly and I after the Oklahoma City 1/2 Marathon... THE most challenging physical thing I have EVER done!

No comments:

Post a Comment