Thursday, April 29, 2010

Friends For Life, Sisters In Christ! Our Dallas Adventure was AWESOME!



There are moments in time that you wish would stand still. I had many of those over the four days I spent in Dallas with Kelly on our birthday girls getaway adventure. It was so fun, so relaxing and I loved every minute. This blog is all about our Dallas adventure and the impact of our time together. It is sticky sweet in some spots so that is my disclaimer prior to reading!




I know I have written about my friendship with Kelly many times but if you have never experienced a sisterhood with someone then it is hard to explain the spiritual, intellectual, meaningful family connection we share. We can talk about the same topic for hours and still have more to say, more to ponder, more to understand. It is awesome. I never tire of our conversations. They inspire me to grow as a person and to study more.




We (I) decided to take a detour on the way to Dallas to stop at OBU in Shawnee. I had not been back since I graduated and WOW! Things have changed and grown. I enjoyed being able to share some stories and great college memories with Kelly. It was neat to share that with her. I would LOVE for her to show me Freed Hardeman where she graduated someday.



We can have fun doing ANYTHING...from following the GPS into a neighborHOOD (it could have been worse but it freaked us out a little) to driving for 40 minutes to find a toothbrush. I gotta say a little more about the toothbrush. I forgot to pack my toothbrush...I had toothpaste but not a brush. The first night, I brushed my teeth with my finger and a washcloth so on night #2, I was going to find me a toothbrush. Kelly found a kit (for purchase) inside the fridge in our hotel room. This little handy dandy kit came with a travel toothbrush, toothpaste and some other little trinkets for the bargain price of $4. Being who I am, I told her I'd find a better one for cheaper. We got lost trying to find more than one Target and finally ended up @ a CVS because all the stores were closed!! I found a toothbrush for $2.99 on sale (not a bargain after using $10 in gas to find it) and when I got up to the counter to pay, the clerk tells me the total is $4.32. I got so tickled that it was more than the one in the room that I started DYING LAUGHING and couldn't even tell her the price was wrong. I almost wet my pants before I got out of the store. Then as Kelly and I were trying to gain control of our laughter, my car sets the alarm and it starts going off LOUDLY. I guess maybe you had to be there but it was some FUNNY STUFF!!!!!



We had a GREAT time shopping!! We loved the Coach Outlet!! Kelly bought her first Coach bag and I was like a proud mama!! WOO HOO!! We shopped in Frisco, Allen, @ the Galleria and @ North Park Mall. We could have easily stayed a week just to shop in Dallas!! We ate at many AWESOME restaurants and finally got SMART on this trip and started splitting meals! DUH! It isn't rocket science but we have never done that before!




All of this fun aside, I have to write about what I thought were the best parts of this trip... at least for me.



~ Kelly's Birthday was on Wednesday but her celebration lasted 5 days this year. She thinks it is because we started celebrating on Wednesday and I just continued to give her a gift each day for the 4 days we were in Dallas. That is really not the reason it lasted for 5 days. It has been 5 years that our friendship has grown and been molded into what it is today. I wouldn't trade those 5 years for anything and so I made her birthday a celebration of our friendship formed and built over time. She brings out the best in me...almost always. She always brings out the deep thinker in me and challenges me in every way... for the better. I am so thankful for all she has taught me and encouraged me to learn on my own.



~ Our long talks at night... The first night, we talked for hours. Our honest discussions with brutal truth are sometimes a lot to digest but I always come away feeling like we are even closer friends than before we talked. I am generally an open book when I trust someone. Kelly, however, is not... and I have worked so hard to earn her trust and confidence. I know it is because she has never really had a close friend that she could share her true heart with. The walls have finally started coming down and I am so honored to be the one who is there to listen and understand when she shares what is on her heart. I always feel that we have learned something new about each other and shared something profound. I love our talks!


~ Prayer time... This is super personal but this is a blog, after all, so read on, without judgment. My desire is to be fully open here and share my heart with you in hopes that you might ponder the awesomeness of prayer with others. I prayed often with people all during high school and college. Quiet times and prayer times were some of the most meaningful things I remember about those times in my life. So...why do we, as adult women, not get together to pray? Why is it an awkward thing to suggest or do? I don't know honestly... I am asking. I strongly believe prayer is one of the deepest things two people can share because you are sharing your most inter thoughts with another person and you are sharing your personal relationship with Christ with them. Ever since last summer, when we started studying scriptures together, I have wanted to pray with Kelly. I never told her though and we never talked about it. Even though we have shared so much stuff over the last year and a half, prayer wasn't part of our friendship. Our first night in Dallas, we prayed together... and each night after that. I had forgotten how it felt to share this with a close friend. I feel as though we are closer now than ever before and that our faith will continue to bind us no matter where we go or what we do. I hope this inspires you to make the opportunity to include prayer as part of your close friendships. It is an amazing blessing and brings glory to God!

"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." Matthew 18:20

Our Dallas getaway was perfect. The time I spend with Kelly brings my focus on faith and God into clearer perspective. I know God has given us an incredible gift in each other and I will never take our sisterhood for granted. The glory is all HIS!



1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your blog. I had not put together the 5 years. I am filled with such love and am so blessed to have you as my sis!!! The Dallas trip could only have been better if it lasted longer. I loved our very in depth talks and respect your opinion so much. Prayer was the best and I do feel that was something so important missing from our friendship. I love you and thanks so much for making my birthday so special!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete